History of Tapijn A Tapijn through the years
Until 1867, there were so-called inundation basins on the spot where the Tapijn barracks are located. These were basins that could be flooded if necessary and that were part of the defence structures of Maastricht. When the ‘fortified town’ status of Maastricht was removed in 1867, a garrison remained in the city. It was not until between 1916 and 1920, however, that modern barracks were built and the soldiers were given good accommodations. Until 1940, the 13th infantry regiment remained at the barracks. After the Second World War, the barracks were used by the Menno van Coehoorn and Chassé regiments. Starting in 1967, NATO AFCENT liaison units were housed there.