History of Tapijn F2 Park, bear pit, and tram bridge
After the ‘fortified town’ status of Maastricht was removed in 1867, the grounds where the barracks are now located remained a military site. In the expansion plan of 1905, a narrow strip was designated as an animal park. In 1920, the bear pit was opened and night-quarters in one of the casemate of the Wilhelmina Bastion were provided. The deer park and the park became a popular place for the people of Maastricht to relax.